Unit 4 - How Languages Are Learned?

Hall, 2011, p.63, states "what teachers believe about how languages are learned affects how they approach language teaching in the classroom." 
My interpretation of the above statement means that language teachers need to take caution when it comes to giving corrective feedback or immediate correction to their students. Yes, Ss don't mind having these types of feedbacks, but I think that if an S gets it all the time, the level of confidence will get lost and the ability to acquire the language would be at risk - this is my personal opinion. It is essential to maintain a balance of corrections in the classroom - that's for sure. I stand firm when I say that, in my experience as an L2 learner, the acquisition of a new language is a lifelong process. I don't believe that anyone is able to fully understand a new language and know "everything" about it within a specific period of time. Language keeps evolving throughout time with the creation of new words and just to give an example of this, the word "Google" was not known before the new millennium. It was until 2002 that the American Dialect Society chose it as the "most useful word of 2002"  and in 2006, the word "Google" was added in the Oxford dictionary. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_(verb)



For this unit's activity, we had to work with a partner and develop a lesson plan to attain a communication task. I was fortunate to pair up with Belinda who already had an idea in place for our lesson. The goal of the lesson was to teach students to "use proper vocabulary to introduce two people known to themselves, but who are strangers to one another." I really liked how our lesson turned out.
Please see our lesson plan under Classroom Activities.

Comments