Unit 6 - How Do I Plan For Language Instruction

Lesson Planning, oh boy!
In this unit, we explored the fundamental factors in the creation of lesson plans for our future students. What do we need to consider? What's the difference between goals and objectives? What type of guidelines do we include in our planning? These and other questions are the beginning of our chapter 10 in Teaching by Principles by Brown and Lee. Thinking of these questions and trying to find answers to them are two things that are very challenging for me. I tend to have an idea of what I want to teach in a lesson, but I have such a hard time thinking of the objective of that particular lesson. I was talking to a friend the other day who's a new and fresh EAL teacher. She was sharing a little bit of her experience with lesson planning with me, and this is what she said, "I begin writing my objectives for the lesson I want to teach. I go over all the activities that I would like to see happening in the classroom. Once I am done, I realize that my lesson has nothing to do with my objectives. So, when this happens, I simply go back to my objectives and change them and voala, all is good!" 
So, then I thought, hm... working backwards might be the answer for me. 
According to Brown and Lee (chapter 10, pp198 -201, the format of a lesson plan consists of goals, objectives, materials and equipment, procedures, assessment, and extra class work. Brown and Lee (chapter 10, pp202 - 207) also list the guidelines for lesson planning as follows: 1) How to Begin Planning, 2) Variety, Sequencing, Pacing, and Timing, 3) Contingency Panning, 4) Gauging Difficulty, 5) Individual Differences, 6)Student Talk and Teacher Talk, 7) Adapting to an Established Curriculum and 8) Classroom Lesson Notes. All these formats and guidelines are super important in the elaboration of a great lesson plan.
Now to get us "thinking," our first task in this unit is to answer 10 questions that we are about to read on Imperatives. I misunderstood the instructions on how to do this activity, and I ended up doing it wrong. We were supposed to create eight more questions from the list, two of the questions were already given to us, and then I had to answer each question. Once I had finished answering these questions, I was supposed to go over the Imperative Lesson Plan and see if the questions I created were answered throughout the plan - I am still a bit confused about this, but I will go over it again just in case.
Another obstacle that I encountered in this unit is the elaboration of my lesson plan. I had such a hard time putting all my thoughts so that I had to ask for help from my classmates. Thank God for them! I got three excellent ideas and suggestions from them. Now, it's just a matter of putting all those great ideas together. I hope my lesson plan turns out just fine.

Please see additional links for this unit under the Resources tab.








Comments